“Depression is humiliating. It turns intelligent, kind people into zombies who can’t wash a dish or change their socks. It affects the ability to think clearly, to feel anything, to ascribe value to your children, your lifelong passions, your relative good fortune. It scoops out your normal healthy ability to cope with bad days and bad news, and replaces it with an unrecognizable sludge that finds no pleasure, no delight, no point, in anything outside of bed. You alienate your friends because you can’t comport yourself socially, you risk your job because you can’t concentrate, you live in moderate squalor because you have no energy to stand up, let alone take out the garbage. You become pathetic and you know it. And you have no capacity to stop the downward plunge. You have no perspective, no emotional reserves, no faith that it will get better. So you feel guilty and ashamed of your inability to deal with life like a regular human, which exacerbates the depression and the isolation. If you’ve never been depressed, thank your lucky stars and back off the folks who take a pill so they can make eye contact with the grocery store cashier. It’s not an incapacity to cope with day to day living in the modern world. It’s an incapacity to function. At all. No one chooses it. No one deserves it. You cannot imagine what it takes to feign normalcy, to show up to work, to make a dentist appointment, to pay bills, to walk your dog, to return library books on time, to keep enough toilet paper on hand, when you are exerting most of your capacity on trying not to kill yourself”.
- @HnDoubleN If your cats like boxes at all Id recommend this it’s just a cardboard box with both short ends cut off… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- @HockeywthHannah Hockey is for everyone who’s willing to put up with our shit and change themselves to do so 2 hours ago
- Mood https://t.co/Hsva08oiSU 2 hours ago
- @jcbowdon I am still trying to figure out why binx couldn’t talk to his dad in the beginning but can talk now 18 hours ago
- @rschultzy20 I meant in choosing baseball 18 hours ago